Monday, September 25, 2017

The Amazing World of Gumball Review: The Line

"Uh, I'll have you know that I am the president of the Stellar Odyssey Fan Club... Elmore chapter." "Really? I thought you'd be into, like... tea and stuff."
"The Line" is that it's basically just "The Uncle" but for Star Wars. I have never seen Star Wars. Thus, I am blatantly unqualified to be discussing this episode. Tune in tomorrow where we'll be disc- fine, I'll talk about it, but this is my choice.

But at the same time, my lack of an ability to grasp everything is a bit of a broader issue with the episode. There's nothing wrong with making a sly reference here and there, but just like, again, "The Uncle," "The Line" takes the position of jabbing at us and asking "Huh, did you get that one?! The Holiday Special?! The Cabornite?! Ooooh, Trash Compactor, that's a pun AND a gag!" There's nothing organic to the delivery, nor do enough of the jokes stand on their own two feet in the case that anybody in the audience (me) is left in the dark.

That being said, there's something almost touching about Nicole and Richard sacrificing their ability to see the movie at its first screening by forming a fake line, with the understanding that Star Odyssey was the kids' franchise now. It's those moments that aren't too bent on slapping references all over the place that make the episode work at its strongest.

For as broad as a lot of the jokes got, there were still enough classic one-liners and subtle nuances that kept "The Line" from becoming a checklist. For instance, setting up the initial prospects of the Wattersons getting into the theater as a Sisyphean task is so obvious yet so perfect, and every grain of salt poured on the open wound, like being pushed to the back of the line or getting seats assigned behind columns in rows so distant they can't even be labeled by letters... it's beautiful insanity, and it reminds me of episodes like "The Parking."

You also get moments like the nerd-off, which is pretty much an overly-dramatized game of who has the lamer life. Granted, Star Wars seeps in again, but the sheer contrast of intense fighting with declaring lame accomplishments just sort of works. This is very much an episode consisting of ideas strung together, but for once, there's not some huge, glaring issue to arise from that because each act offers up a different surprise.

Sadly, though, the focus of the episode is knocking back as many Star Wars references as possible, which isolates appeal. Factor in the limited subtleties of Darwin yelling "It's a trap!" and we get an episode that feels like an ode, but not a massively enjoyable nor meticulous one. It's the anti-Console.

Notes and Quotes:
-"You'll be sitting in row... Cleft." "I hate Cleft! That was my grade average at school."
-Apparently Darwin was only adopted so that Richard could claim he had two sons. Ouch. And also patently false, show, if only you were a real fan...
-For some reason, poor Darwin was pinned down to deliver the most contrived jokes in the whole episode, what with the jab at Jar Jar Binks, doing a Chewbacca cry, and outright shouting "IT'S A TRAP!" When will the show learn to use him right?
-Is it just me or did Anais weirdly contribute very little to everything? Not that that's, uh, anything new, but... you get it.

Final Grade: C+. I'm sorry, there's just not much room for me to nerd out today, I've never walked away from an episode feeling like an outsider. What "The Line" does is indulge in our love of catching references, but it none of those land on you, you're not left with much to look forward to. The episode did plenty right, but it got too hung up on employing as many Star Wars references as possible that it felt burdened by them instead of enhanced. And I know I'm in the vast minority in saying this, but (A) when has this ever not been the case, and (B) I can't help how I feel, okay?

I'll just hang out happily in my own little corner of shame meadow of happiness.

For the last review of "The Best," CLICK HERE.

2 comments:

  1. I do agree that this episode was the weakest to come out of the most recent batch. However, I did not find it outright mediocre. I did feel as if most of the references (not all of them, mind you), had enough substance beyond "'Star Wars' Gag #51" to stand on its own two feet and appeal to those who have never seen a "Star Wars" movie (much like myself). It's like a reverse "The Uncle": while the references in "The Uncle" were somewhat shallow (although I enjoyed them more because I am more familiar with Mario), the episode made up for it by having most of the comedy derive from Ocho's and Gumball's dysfunctional friendship. Here, the references take a big chunk of the comedy, but they actually go somewhere with it (the big chase during the climax, the nerdoff, the testaments to Richard's unhealthy loyalty to "Space Odyessy"). The gags involving the movie theather seating arrangement as well as Banana Bob's mental breakdown were "stellar"...

    I'll take my leave now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the realization that a nondescript moment was actually a reference is one of those moments that forces you take a step back and wonder what the legitimate comedy in referential humor is, and this episode had quite a few of those, tragically. That's why I think it really is on the same level as "The Uncle" - even if some references are very blatant yet still charged with a sense of comedy, there's moments that rely on knowing something about the source material to register, which shouldn't be how humor works.

      (Also, quotes as no-strings-attached humor. Yikes.)

      I think that's what ultimately leaves me so torn. The episode, removed from the Star Wars jokes that anchor it down, actually has substance which I can appreciate, but that substance is never blatantly at the forefront. Remove the reliance on referential humor, and the episode would work much better because it's clear that there was legitimate intention to the plot beyond shooting off nods.

      Delete