Saturday, September 30, 2017

The Amazing World of Gumball Review: The Puppets

"Is it me or was that kinda... underwhelming?"
Here's a quick disclaimer: I'm not all that invested in the abstract ambiguity that "The Puppets" dwells in, and that's a huge issue considering the fact that the excitement of the episode lies squarely in that aspect. I do think, though, that the episode's reliance on chasing the ambiguity was at the cost of the episode's overall enjoyment. In trying to bridge the gap between Don't Hug Me I'm Scared's off-the-hinge, sinister tones and TAWOG's delicate subtleties and overall energy, both sides took a compromise.

And yes, I'm fully aware that taking that stance is a bit mean to the episode, considering TAWOG willingly gave itself up to the creative brain forces of DHMIS - Becky Sloan and Joe Pelling, who were credited as head writers - but for all the work they do, the episode never quite feels comfortable with itself, and putting the two creative forces together wasn't quite a match made in heaven, if I may be so bold. Just... ride along for a second.

Probably the most glaring instance of that lack of cohesion is the majority of the episode leading up to the whole puppet sequence - it never really gels. Sure, there's a few classic TAWOG moments here and there - the violating Bop-it and brief puppet fight in the bathroom, for instance - but, generally speaking, most of it was the show very awkwardly coasting along and filling up time. There wasn't any sense that the episode was really building up tension so much as repeating the same general joke over and over again with the hopes of it becoming funnier, which it can't without escalation.

I feel as if all of that's conceptually fine, trying to show that transitory stage of growing up, but Darwin comes out of it uncharacteristically naive, and Gumball operates solely in a reactionary manner without much distinct character. In that sense, both characters took a hit for the sake of the episode's second act when doing so wasn't even remotely necessary, and the outcome feels underbaked and lacking in the show's usual charm.

The problem arises in the fact that these concessions don't actually help the puppet segment that much, either. Is it gorgeous? Yes. Does it throw around a misty sense of vague to encourage the viewer to think critically of it? Without a doubt. But it still has its issues, all of which were outside of the creators' control.

The reason DHMIS works is because it gets to mock children's entertainment without restriction, allowing it to do as much warped surrealism as it can manage. That spirit just doesn't work as well when they're actually working within the confines of children's entertainment itself (however loose TAWOG fits that term, that's still what it fundamentally is) - when the series is based on being unrestricted, and is forced to adapt to restriction, it gets strained and compromised, too.

The sequence thus ends up feeling like the middle of a DHMIS episode in between vague unease and legitimate terror, but it's not allowed to elevate any further. As far as it pokes fun at the limitations of Darwin's mandatory fun, that's the entirety of what the show can demonstrate for us: a bleak plateau. Even pushing at the puppet's retaliation by committing very juvenile acts of sadism on Gumball and Darwin does nothing particularly macabre aside from maybe the line about bending the two until they snap - that would be where, in DHMIS, it piles on, but instead, that's the peak of their twistedness, and everything immediately fizzles out.

I'd almost like to think the ending to the whole sequence, with Darwin pulling a string and watching the puppets get slightly mutilated, was a tongue-in-cheek jab at how limited Becky and Joe's vision was forced to become, but as I'm sure I've said before, creating a deliberate anticlimax and calling it out as such is still frustratingly lazy and dull to watch. I can admire it from a writer's standpoint when executed right - watch this bit of anticlimactic gold - but it doesn't work here because of the lofty expectations against it.

There's the other huge issue with the episode - it suffers from being hyped up beyond belief. There wasn't that element of surprise that makes the greatest episodes work - like "The Money" - because we knew what the show was pulling at, but there's also that "The Puppets" couldn't possibly sustain all the excitement built up around it. Some episodes can, namely "The Copycats," because of the excitement of not knowing where the episode would go, but here, the episode played out precisely as any of us could've imagined, and the result was underwhelming and almost formulaic. Maybe the episode would've killed if it had a lower profile, because everything was stacked against its success.

Quotes and Notes:
-Poor Rocky will never find true love, it seems.
-I liked how much the show poked fun at the limitations of its medium, what with the green-suited puppeteers and Grady's very limited attempt at shushing Gumball by delicately rubbing his hand across his face.
-Also good was the depressing state of the objects of Gumball and Darwin's naive imagination. High Five Guy pitifully recoils after being hit; Sammy the Screaming Sun does exactly what you'd expect; and the Tree of Permanent Happiness hates its inability to feel any other emotions - at least in that department, both TAWOG and DHMIS fused rather nicely in their sensibilities.
-I actually did enjoy the ultimate ending of the episode, wherein Gumball and Darwin try to sell the puppets, one of which latches on to Billy and attacks him - their reign of terror shall live on.

FINAL GRADE: B. This is a difficult episode to look at. Like, insanely difficult. It relies on the audience interacting with it as the indicator of its success, and I applaud the episode in being able to do such a thing, seriously. Heck, the reason I type all of this is for the same reason: to spark conversation. But frustratingly enough, everything else about the episode, at face value, was only alright, an issue that the show tragically couldn't have prevented.

I don't hate the episode, by any means. I understand its appeal, and I understand the high prestige it holds. From a purely personal standpoint, though, I walked away from it with less than I came into it with, and if I don't necessarily think the episode should've never happened, I'm not drawn to really watching it again.

That's just me, though, and that's always how this stuff is gonna go.

For the last review of "The Petals," CLICK HERE.

11 comments:

  1. Hmm. I always felt as if "Don't Hug Me, I'm Scared" worked because everything was so vague, abstract, and metaphorical. Sure, the use of gore definitely helps to better to convey those abstract themes, but I never felt it was a necessity (the computer episode, for instance). Because of this, I did not think the limitations of being on child-friendly show hurt it that much. I will admit, absence of gore made Darwin's defeat of the puppets somewhat lame for "Don't Hug Me I'm Scared" standards, but regardless, I felt as if "Don't Hug Me I'm Scared" was able to keep its tone intact for the episode, and that the episode succeeded because of this tone.

    I will admit, however, that the typical "Gumball" atmosphere took a hit this episode. There were some great jokes (namely the fight in the bathroom and Rocky's interaction with Howdy), but most of them seemed to lack the same sharpness and charm the series is known for. I can see why that would be off-putting for "Gumball" fans that wanted a "Gumball" episode and not a "Don't Hug Me I'm Scared" mini-episode. The writers could have done a better job in allowing the unique tone "Gumball" is known for shine better so that people who just are not fazed by the "Don't Hug Me I'm Scared" tone have something to look forward to.

    Despite this tonal imbalance, I still think it was a strong episode and one of the best this season. Although, I do find it odd that this was chosen as a season finale. Again, I think this episode is amazing, but the subdued "Gumball" flair makes it an odd selection for such a prestige. It's just a small thing, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a different kind of gore in the finale, where the puppets were being torn apart once Darwin pulled the thread. Not sure how else it could've been done.

      Delete
    2. I don't really think gore is the most crucial component to DHMIS, don't get me wrong, but there's the sense that they'll take any angle possible to put across their message that's so crucial to its identity. When that ability to far exceed tidy decency is removed, the result feels too sanitized to pack a punch. That's why their wholly indifferent ending is so frustrating: you know the extent that Joe and Becky were aiming for, but they couldn't fulfill it and simply succumbed to a sense of defeat with it all. I suppose the larger issue is whatever you think makes DHMIS what it is, because there are certainly aspects of it that work and aspects of it that don't, and this angle is crucial in how you perceive the episode as a whole.

      And yes, all of that second paragraph. The show tried to follow along with DHMIS even though the capabilites of the network wouldn't allow for that, so it would've made the episode a lot better if TAWOG's approach was chased after with a bit more intent.

      Delete
  2. Unpopular opinion, I liked the whole episode. Though maybe I'll agree with you to an extent that it doesn't have much rewatchability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thus is the beauty of art's subjectitivity. But yeah, rewatchability can be a bit of an issue; even some of the best episodes like "The Console" are single-serving, and once you've enjoyed the right, it simply can't retain the excitement of the first viewing. Here, though, the issue was its abstraction, meaning there's less definition to everything and less you'll pick up on in repeat viewings.

      Delete
  3. As someone who has never watched Don't Hug Me I'm Scared, I think I might have gotten a very different impression from the puppet world segment than you...

    I do agree that the first half of the episode seemed to lumber a bit. It could have done with some more width in its joke material, I think - and it was fairly clear early on that the puppets were alive, even without the blurb text, so it felt like there was a minute or two that essentially just hammered in a nail that was already well in the wall. The transition where Gumball put on his puppet, on the other hand, felt a little abrupt to me. Within five seconds, he goes from thinking Darwin is behind everything to jumping into a world of dreams to save Darwin, and there seemed to be no second guessing from his side. Even just a couple seconds with a less determined expression could have worked wonders there, I think.

    The puppet world segment, on the other hand, was beautiful, and the jokes at the start landed right on my funny bone. As I said before, I have not watched DHMIS, so I can make no comment on how this episode compares to that show. But I do know that I appreciated the disturbing visuals and the creepy themes - not full on horror, but I felt it was sufficient horror for a children's show. I have no need for things to turn all The Ring in a series like Gumball, but again, this is coming from the perspective of a person who does not know what DHMIS does. Maybe they could have gone darker without compromising what Gumball needs to be. I also enjoyed the ending, because it felt very in line with Gumball and Darwin as characters.

    But there was one issue I had that, I think, you did not mention. Essentially, it was just a throwaway line that led to something fun in the episode, but to me it just threw a sort of careless light over everything else that happened. It happens right as they are leaving the puppet world - Darwin says "Wait! Isn't this all imaginary?" That line is deeply problematic for me, because if I am to take it at face value, everything else in the episode was pointless. Darwin never got possessed, and he attacked his brother and broke their games console. Gumball never experienced a body horror moment while exploring a world of felt with his childhood puppet. And the two brothers were never in any real danger, because all the puppeteering was make-believe. Darwin's line kind of functions a bit like an "It was all a dream" reveal, even though they push it a little more under the carpet - either the line is false and the explosions at the end were real, or Gumball and Darwin imagined everything, including the ending where Billy gets attacked by a puppet. That just frustrated me a whole lot, because it destroyed my enjoyment of what would otherwise, to me, have been one of the best Season 5 episodes. Not the best, by far, but it tipped the episode from top fifteen to bottom ten. I still love the visuals and the themes, and the concept was very interesting, but I still feel cheated out of a proper plot. One that actually has an effect on the characters and the world.

    Those are my feelings on the episode, anyway...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The classic "It's all a dream!" shtick. I will admit, it is not a crutch I am all too fond of myself, but it never bothered me in this episode as much as it should have. Perhaps I just found too much good in this episode that it did not bother me as much. It's still a somewhat lazy ending and it does nullifies the episode's message to a degree, but I find myself unable to knock on the episode that much because it did so much right in my opinion. I do see where you're coming from, though.

      Bottom ten, though? It seems like a hard sell when episodes such as "The Stars", "The Ex", "The Diet", and "The Worst" all exist this season. Just my silly personal opinions getting in the way, though.

      Delete
    2. I likewise have never watched DHMIS and really enjoyed the puppet segment.

      Delete
    3. The "imagination" throwaway line, I think, serves to both laugh at the episode as an anticlimax momentarily and hastily try to hide that fact with some explosions. (Whether or not that sense was deliberately stuck on is concerningly unclear.) The episode certainly would've functioned better without blurring that suspension of belief, but everything the episode does is so deliberately unclear that it actually gets frustrating, at times. This is the show trying to establish a specific stance on that issue, but it doesn't work at all because it both breaks the illusion and doesn't make any legitimate sense - trying to declare the events of the episode "real" or "fake" doesn't work because neither answer feels correct. That line was both an appeal to mechanics (in its functionality) and a denial of it (in the weight of its meaning) in equal parts.

      I wouldn't call the episode bad, though, especially considering how spotty Season 5's gotten at times. It's simply average, neither overwhelmingly good nor overwhelmingly bad, with strengths and weaknesses that merely cancel each other out by the degree of your leniency.

      Delete
    4. I might be a little harsh. It is more accurate to say that it is one of my ten least favourite episodes this season. It has more to do with how I feel about the episode in hindsight, than how I feel about the episode while watching it - because it tells a story I like, and that is well crafted. And while watching, I hardly even notice the line itself. But thinking back on it, I just feel cheated. I could actually find myself watching the episode again and I would probably enjoy it, but only if I skipped five minutes forward to avoid that conversation.

      I just think the episode had so much going for it - an interesting premise, an undertone of horror, a striking visual style, and an interesting portrayal of Darwin. And then it said, no, they all pretended. I think it has more to do with the aftertaste than anything in the episode itself, because I liked how it was crafted and basically everything about it except the "it was all a dream" moment.

      It is true that the episode is weird enough that "real" or "fake" are misleading descriptors at best. But this, I feel, goes for most of Gumball's adventures. The Console did it beautifully, and you are free to decide for yourself whether the game became a reality or they were just having fun, or some kind of middle ground. Similarly, The Choices had a long section where Nicole imagined alternate life paths, but since we are in the world of Gumball, everything comes off as at least plausible, and the episode never really tells us either way whether they would have come true or not. My point is, it is unusual for an episode to actually say that something is real or fake, and it just ends up bursting the bubble something fierce for me when it does do that.

      This is all my opinion, of course. It just... bothers me a lot, when shows pull the "fake" card.

      Delete
    5. It's interesting to note how terrible the "It's all a dream" punchline is, generally speaking, and how often it's thrown around for no reason. Heck, this is the third time the show's done it as an explicit out - "The Skull" used it as a pathetic way to readjust the episode's framing, and "The Test" used it ironically by pointing out its laziness while being no less lazy in its employment. I think "The Puppets" was leaning on that sense of meta irony, but the issue still prevails - calling out something as lazy while lovingly embracing it doesn't make it any less frustrating as a punchline. Granted, I didn't have as visceral of a reaction to it, but I can see why you would take offense to it.

      Of course, all of this is from my highly-analytical standpoint of "COMEDY MUST WORK THIS WAY TO BE SUCCESSFUL," which is also pretty much the basis of the extent of my complaints on display in the review. Comedy is subjective, and it's okay to disagree. Either way, it's always nice hearing what other people think, because it lets you think further beyond your preconceptions.

      Delete