Sunday, December 3, 2017

Rhett and Link's Buddy System Review: Virtual Rhettality

"It's almost a certainty that we're already living in a simulation." "How can you know that?" "Well, you know when you tickle yourself it doesn't tickle? That's proof." "But it does tickle!" "Well that's because the technology's getting better all the time."

Well, it seems like, with "Virtual Rhettality," we've officially gotten Buddy System Season 2's first miss. Let me try to defend my position a bit.

As this episode's song, "Family Man," hammers in, Rhett and Link both desire the domesticity of family life, so Link runs off to make amends with Vanessa (and hilariously shove Roberto out of the picture, though it's not like he has feelings anyway) while Rhett doubles down on his new Occular Thrift playing BarnTown as Beth, a virtual farm-lady. Issues arise, however, when Vanessa inevitably becomes tangled with both Link in real-life and Rhett in virtual reality.

For what it's worth, the ultimate reveal was a surprisingly well-executed twist. Sure, there's a few holes in how Rhett and Link somehow never caught on to the coincidence up until Link virtually jams his hand up Rhett's... hmm... but the slow burn is hilarious as our heroes react in horror at the realization. On one level, Link's virtually violating Rhett, but on the other, Rhett's destroyed Link's deep, deep like for Vanessa. And amazingly, in hurts both in equal parts, if not out of their universe's peculiarities wherein both Rhett and Link make equally insane progress with Vanessa within a matter of two days.

The issue is that not much else works. The episode feels incomplete on both sides. On one hand, Rhett's story arc is goofy, but it isn't all that sustainable leading up to the climax and it boils down to repeated miscommunication and jokes about his virtual self-concept conflicting with reality. Link's story arc is fairly heavier, but the issue arises in the fact that we don't care for his relationship with Vanessa and its success or failure because we lack the investment.

At the same time, there's just too much happening, and there's no voice of reason throughout it all, especially once Link gives in part-way through and becomes Rhett and Vanessa's virtual child (which is not something I really needed to see). The best we've got is Beth, who stands in as the audience surrogate dragged into the conflict against her will, providing commentary to help us through, but she disappears all too quickly to elevate the premise all that much.

The final segment struggles to redeem, either, as the story shifts entirely to virtual reality, documenting the lifes and deaths of Beth (Rhett), Earl (Vanessa), and their son Trench (Link). It doesn't work in how it folds at its weirdness, and the end result feels broad and overly-long. Seeing Link sucking on a constructed teat was just about enough for me to handle - by the time the joke evolved to Trench becoming a dancer, I just about checked out.

I will admit, though, that I liked the ultimate ending: after Beth dies, we cut to Rhett and Link sprawled out on the floor, with Rhett in a crying Link's arms, before the two just get up and grab food like nothing ever happened. If only that were the case...

Notes and Quotes:
-For the record, I do lyrically enjoy "Family Man" greatly as a deconstruction of the quiet tragedies of fatherhood, but I feel as if the music video didn't particularly enhance it in its suddenness, nor did it fit as nicely into the grand scheme of things, especially with Rhett acting weirdly out-of-character and not even following up on becoming a family man.
-"Roberto, why don't you wait for me in the car? The windows are tinted so you can play around with the USB port."
-"Maybe we could meet up sometime." "That would be nice... but it's pretty unlikely."
-"Oh come on, Earl! You know that's the biggest rhubarb you've ever seen! I've got a whole truck full of 'em!"
-"I gotta say, I think I'm falling in deep like with her."
-I liked how the description of Buzzler is literally just a description of an email service. As in, it sends your email. Which an email already does.
-Also, plothole: how did Vanessa not make the connection when she received the email from Link that was almost verbatim what Rhett was virtually yelling at her about?
-Rhett showing Link his virtual ring, but him being unable to see it without a headset, was a nice touch.
-"What are the words I need to say to make you not hurt me?" Beth is the real MVP.
-Let it be known that my original guess for the plot synopsis, with attention to the song, was Rhett starting a virtual reality family and becoming so taken out of reality that Link has to drag him back in - I feel like that might've helped iron out some of the issues in terms of imbalance, though it may coalesce upon what "Spa Trip" accomplished a bit too much.

Final Grade: C.  I think the largest issue with "Virtual Rhettality" is that it lacks self-awareness. There's no doubt that it must've been an insanely fun episode to create, but that sense doesn't transfer to me as a spectator, and the result is awkward and lowbrow without packing the sort of nuanced punches that Buddy System has excelled at over the past four episodes. It just isn't as funny because it goes so strangely broad and scattershot.

I don't criticize "Virtual Rhettality" out of ignorance or a love of criticizing, mind you, but I think it's important not to sugar-coat. I know there are writers for the show who read what I write, which is incredible, and because of that, I doubly feel an obligation to be honest about my thoughts and encourage further conversation.

Further, there's nothing wrong with having a misstep here or there - that's just expected. Creating a show is hard, and the occasional stumble is okay! I'm not going to act like I know any better or that I could do a better job, because I don't and I can't. So writers, by all means, send me some thoughts; for all I know, my view of the episode is a bit obstructed. As of right now, though, "Virtual Rhettality" is a dud, and hopefully the only one of the season.
3:41 The hammer has dropped.
For the last Buddy System review of "Spa Trip," CLICK HERE.

2 comments:

  1. I personally thought this was the funniest episode in the whole season. The best overall was still 6 (can't wait to read your thoughts on that), but I thought this was much more entertaining than most of the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely get what you mean - "Virtual Rhettality," above all other episodes, goes for broke, which is pretty admirable - but it never quite gelled for me, on top of having some rather questionable decisions in terms of artistic liberty.

      "A Frontier Story," though, was superb. Here's hoping I can do that one justice. Thanks for reading along!

      Delete