Monday, March 5, 2018

The Amazing World of Gumball Review: The Candidate (A Second Opinion)

“They say lions throw their cubs off ravines and only raise the ones strong enough to climb back up. Well firstly, that’s not true and it’s also completely irrelevant to the story, but it makes for a cool opening!”

Hey! I'm doing this whole thing a bit late. I was super tired yesterday from the past week, and then my WiFi got torn to shreds by high winds through all of Saturday, so that was a lot of fun. There's not much to this post, though I will inform you that the meat of all of my thoughts is right here:

[LINKITY LINKSTER]

Considering that "The Candidate" was so amazingly polarizing, I deemed it worthy of reviving the series, however fleetingly. However, I will keep this up for the sake of listing "Notes and Quotes" (or "Quotes and Notes?" Seems to be swapped around a lot.) and giving a final grade. Redundant? Yes. But for the sake of consistency, we might as well.

Notes and Quotes:
-“Do you think we had it easy? When I finished high school, all I had was three dollars in my pocket! So what did I do? I bought a house, a car, and started a family! And the other two dollars went into my savings.”
-People seemed to love the TV committing suicide. Which is fun, but that bit is so tacked-on that I really don’t have any thoughts beyond how legitimately cathartic of a punchline it was. Always good to see Jérémie Périn, the guy who worked on "Watch Out, Little Teddy!" from "The Safety," back on the show, though.
-“There must be some way of opening that door.” “I’ve tried everything! Turning the handle clockwise, turning the handle counterclockwise, not turning it, staring at it for a while… telling you about it.”
-“You should do what we simple country folk call good old-fashioned equitable distribution of commodities.”
-"Bobert, facts are like stars." "They're always in the sky, but you can't always see them." "No, they're like shiny holes in the dark light of my ignorance, AND I DON'T LIKE THEM!" Banana Joe had a really great episode.
-Idaho being stuck spinning for eternity was a nifty visual and further proof that the Comedy Rule of Three shall live on, forever and ever, never ceasing and always beautiful.
-The title of Gumball's presumed memoir is "An Eagle Among Pigeons."
-Tobias throwing money into a pit to try to solve the problem was hilarious. The money actually managing to fill up the pit was ingenious.

FINAL GRADE: A-. Sure, there are a few missteps here and there that hamper the final product–how Clare was handled being the most prominent–but this was just a fun episode with a nice, incisive edge to it that, on top of all of that, was chock-full of inspired character moments that led to some long-awaited character utilizations. There's a little bit of something for everybody here in theory, though I guess blind fury gets in the way of that. Again, man, I typed over 1500 words already. There's not much else to it.

For the last review of "The Faith," CLICK HERE.

13 comments:

  1. I'm suprised that /co/ (That HATES season 6) reactioned more positively to this episode than r/gumball. They didn't like it anyway but they hated on The Rival, The Sucker or even The Faith and The Vegging way more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, trying to find any logic to 4chan is like... trying to find any logic to 4chan. You don't do it. You disregard their existence entirely, they're a mess.

      Delete
    2. ̶A̶l̶s̶o̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶e̶e̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶e̶p̶i̶s̶o̶d̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶A̶-̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶g̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶h̶i̶g̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶e̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶l̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶.

      Delete
    3. I came across a /co/ thread searching for "www.neckbeardfrogalternativetruth.ru" it did not seem very supportive to me. Reddit seemed to love the episode in contrast.

      And hell, I found complains both on Reddit about 4chan'rs using reddit, the same with that 4chan thread.

      I suspect that the people who don't like the direction of the series end up in 4chan as reddit kicks them all out... and people who do like it end up on reddit.

      After all, segregation works it would seem... we just need to keep segregating the people with different ideology from us and we will all be happy... not.

      Delete
    4. 4chan hates Reddit. Everypne knows that.

      Well, maybe I was exagerating saying that 4chan liked the episode but the hate was much lower than other episodes, which usually means "okey".

      Delete
    5. a. hush
      b. and c. Again, what do you expect? 4chan is just getting a ton of people together who like to bitch about stuff and just letting them loose to masturbate gleefully over anything of merit being 'bad.'

      Delete
    6. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    7. (Ignore the removed comment) This is getting confusing.

      I was actually answering to Unknown in my third comment who made a weird comparition saying that 4chan seems to hate Reddit when it has always been like that in any board, try to talk about Rick and Morty or Black Mirror for example and you'll get what I'm saying. The second one was just a joke. I actually agree with you, I just wanted to point out that people have been saying that this is where the hate is coming from, and yeah, it's a factor but it can't be the only one, it probably has more to do with The Rival/The Sucker being divisive, The Worst falling to send a message or the complaints about facial humor, character derailment or political positions being reduced to strawmen (although I do not agree with most of these and I think people have just been largely overreacting but those exist outside of /co/).

      Delete
  2. You know, what I really dislike about this episode is the strawmanning, at least be neutral enough to recognize that the reason we're really in this mess is because of the prejudice and bigotry of both sides. In truth, this is the problem with political episodes in the first place, only one side actually gets represented and all other sides only get strawmen and otherwise completely misrepresented.

    Take a moment to think about that... banana joe didn't need to go to some elaborate website to be considered "alternative news". Fox News is mainstream media, the same as CNN is mainstream media, people will gladly concede that the news reported by both media outlets is different and often conflicts with each other. The ignorant solution is to say "my news outlet is correct, your news outlet is wrong", the reality is that "mainstream media" is, and always has been, target audience oriented which means that it is tainted with bias... FOX News is the "alternative to CNN's bias" just like CNN is the "alternative to FOX's bias"

    Particularly, take a look at Gumball's use of the blame tactic. We use this tactic over and over to distract from the issues, and it really should have been elaborated more for what it is. Gumball accepts the blame for the riot when the reality is that they were rioting in the car, before even being locked in the room. The dissention existed BEFORE the election, before anything actually happened, and yet Gumball ends up taking the blame for it, it would have happened without his intervention.

    Republicans blame the state of America on Obama. Democrats blame the state of America on Trump. The fault lies with the political parties of the Divided States of America, not the presidents. We Divide ourselves, blaming other people for the problems instead of recognizing that both sides have equal points. We strawman and otherwise issue prejudice against others until we're just as black hearted as the people we oppose. That is the reality of our political station.

    I did find the episode overall enjoyable, once the story actually got passed the mediocre locked in a classroom stage. I didn't really get the point of the election let alone all the nonsensical talking points. After all, banana joe appears to have enough signal strength to browse the web, ergo he could call for help. DUHH! Episode over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching the sequence again... there is ALSO an emergency exit in the room. Why no one tries the double doors with push bar handles (these don't allow locking people in) I do not know... perhaps the moral of the story is "Random violence solves everything" which is what people tend to believe anyways!

      Where the insane "Fight hate with more hate" notion came around, I do not know. But our society firmly believe that more violence solves everything.

      Delete
    2. I mean, call it deflection at the lack of a better answer, but as much as I hate the argument, Gumball IS a cartoon for a target audience of children. I think, with that in mind, they expressed admirable enough nuance in their satire, and if it was watered down, it was as a means of making the information more palatable. I'm sure you know how poorly this sort of thing goes when a show just charges forth, soapbox in hand, shouting rhetoric. It's not particularly fun.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who recognized Jérémie Périn's artwork on that crappy cartoon that made the TV kill itself. The guy's really got a gift for making 2D animated cartoons that make people less nostalgic for this.

    As for the episode, I liked it, but I also knew it would hit a raw nerve with people due to the political undertones (though no one said anything about "The Vision" [a.k.a "the episode that partially parodied House of Cards (the US version that had Kevin Spacey on it, not the British version from the early 1990s)] and that had sharper political satire than this).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This wasn't anything I'd expect from a cartoon show. I'm amazed at how they used the characters and how well delivered the satire was avoiding conflict with the tune of the show. I mean it's do admirable how they could introduce such controvertial topics in a cartoon, presenting them with simple depictions but with a sensible message of how politics can move away the focus of a problem turning it into a mess of opinions who never coincede into any solution.

    I agree it doesn't has to do with the elections but it has to do with how politics is in the U.S., there aren't the same types of stereotypes outside so I was a little bit confused until I read your review.

    In this episode the concept played bigger role than the comedy in my opinion. I don't like the jokes as much as the other episodes but the amusement relied on satire and this episode could be an A+ if we only they into account that aspect.

    ReplyDelete