Sunday, June 17, 2018

The Amazing World of Gumball Review: The Founder

"I either need some food or some therapy... eh. Chips are cheaper."

Here's an interesting episode. Whereas "The Parents" struggled with its use of humor and "The Brain" struggled with its lack of realization, "The Founder," in its relative simplicity, is nothing but unbridled fun. And that's precisely why it works. It takes a simple premise that could've been attempted at any point in the show's run and imbues it with so much charm and ingenuity that it just left me feeling happy. And that's not usually something all of those other hard-edged critics (assuming the criteria is loose enough to include me) even like to acknowledge.

And strangely enough, the success of the episode, while certainly enhanced by Nicole's active role throughout, is almost entirely surrounding Richard. He's a character who, time and time again, has proven difficult to put in the spotlight; his moronic shtick, more often than not, tends to be a crutch at best or a detriment at worst. Yet what allowed him to work in "The Founder" was that even though he demonstrates that same stupidity, it comes across as utterly endearing. He's just a character trying to do his best in a preposterous situation significantly out of control, spiraling to the degree that the co-workers who crowned him as their long-awaited founder convinced him he was the actual founder.

That's what sets "The Founder" apart. The failure of other Richard-centric episodes stems from releasing the character and just watching him go. There's no denying that the same thing happens here to some degree—Richard reconstructs the entire business in pursuit of "Funfunctionality," a sly bit of satire aimed at meaningless workplace ergonomics (think those companies that have rock-climbing walls and ping-pong tables for no reason)—but he never feels grating in his miscalculation. Simply put, this is, all things considered, Richard's greatest venture as a leading character yet.

But there's a lot else to proceedings that stick, too. Nicole, in her relentless quest to get things done, offers the show a nice chance to shift gears before Richard's antics gets too overwhelming. And both characters have their own delightful foils—with Richard buddied with the CEO of Chanax and Nicole working alongside Phil, a deadpanning accountant—that add a nice bit of oomph, the former in his smug, elitist cynicism and the latter with some sweet dance moves.

The episode is also, to put it simply, chock full of inspired gags. Exploring Richard's rationale is always a lot of fun for the show to do, and here, taking a crack at it through an increasingly overwhelming amount of shoulder angels and devils, is a perfect way to elevate the cliche. There's also a lot of small touches throughout that work in their simplicity, like having Richard rest his hand on a keyboard and quietly unleash a torrent of pop-ups or having the building's ultimate design not only include the partially-raised bit of fabric, but also the desk it rests on.

Finally, as all strong episodes have, "The Founder" features a glorious success of a song. Admittedly I'm a sucker, for whatever reason, of theatrical ensemble musical numbers, and the triumphant "He's Back," with the news of Richard's arrival erupting across Chanax Inc. as co-workers spread rumors and fret small details hopes of impressing him, fulfills that itch perfectly. Look, it'll never be as popular as songs like "Goodbye" or "Life Ain't Perfect," but it's so writerly and joyfully-conceived that I adore it all the same.

Long review short: "The Founder" is a blast.

Notes and Quotes:
-I think what I enjoy most about the whole thing is just how simply "The Founder" starts off: all Nicole has to do is pay off a bill, and all Richard has to do is wait in a car, and by the end, with the exception of a destroyed building, Nicole's no better off than before.
-"You can't think of anything important to you that's not on the Internet? Something you've built your life around, giving you constant emotional support and joy through the years? I'll give you a clue: it begins with 'F.'" "Food!... family. Seamless." "Yeah. Nice save, honey."
-The bit where the Chanax receptionist accidentally scares his co-worker by calling Nicole a dinosaur was such a perfectly-executed little exchange.
-The hallucination joke may just be one of my new favorite gags that the show's ever done. It's just so dumb that it's beautiful; what do hallucinations even mean in a world inhabited by walking hot dogs?
-"I'm nervous, apprehensive! / Quick, which tie looks more expensive?"
-"Now, as you know, we've hired the most expensive architect money could buy! I tell you, I haven't seen so many zeroes since I walked through economy to get to first class, am I right?" "Ha, ha ha ha, we're rich!"
-"Since I've had my baby, can I switch to more flexible hours?" "That's right. The office chairs are boring."
-I know someone who will be very enthusiastic about the DDR reference.

FINAL GRADE: A+. I am absolutely fine with nobody else holding "The Founder" to the level that I do, but sometimes, the best episodes are the ones that don't have anything on their agenda at all; "The Founder" isn't trying to take a satirical angle, nor does it want to progress the show in any way at all, and its knowing insignificance frees the episode of the obligation to make itself anything more than what it is. This is just a silly little episode that does what it wants and there's never any harm in that.

For the last review of "The Parents," CLICK HERE.

6 comments:

  1. After hearing how you and a few others loved this episode, I went in for another viewing with a different mindset, and behold, I enjoyed it more than I did previously, albeit not to the same extent you did.

    Putting the goodhearted but ditsy Richard in charge of a cynical and sleazy company fueled a lot of great jokes in the episode. Easily one of the best jokes was when Richard revealed he was more confused than brilliant, only for the Goblin CEO to realize there is not much of a difference between him and an actual business guru.

    I found Goblin CEO to be the best portion of the episode. His elitism and cynicism always lend themselves to some great one-liners. It's nice to see properly utilized in an enjoyable episode, unlike Season 4's mediocre "The Apprentice."

    "The Founder" is a good episode. I would not say the best of this season, but utter fun nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, there we go! It's definitely enjoyable at the very least. I was expecting an A (maybe an A+ would be a bit TOO high) but for me it's pretty close to the top of the list.

      Delete
    2. I have power to turn opinions around, what a neat little recent development! Again, I'm very comfortable with having an insanely high admiration for "The Founder," but it's just fun and nothing but fun, and it's nice to see that sometimes! And I agree with the Goblin CEO being particularly strong here, even though it was hard to squeeze him into the review. Writing slimy business characters is always hard to do because it's easy to just make them insufferable, but his blue-blooded, overblown remarks are fantastic in how they both contrast with Richard and suspiciously, in practice, line up.

      Delete
  2. Episodes that are simple and playful can always make me entertained and I think there's no need to explain why I liked it (you got it all covered).

    I'd just like to point out that I'm a big fan of musicals so hearing "He's Back" just made me smile instantly. "The Singing" did a great job with parodying musicals, but I'd like to see more episodes with unnecessary but catchy musical numbers. Most of the show's songs are gems and I can't help myself but to hum them all the time.

    Another thing you didn't fully go over was the little Internet talk in the beggining. Richard talking about like buttons and the kids mentioning memes, fails and kittens was a great satirical take on the sad truth of this world, although I was expecting something like that from "The Intelligence."

    Nonetheless, I really liked "The Founder" and I hope to see more fun episodes with simple premises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really care for that brief snippet of the kids at home, to be honest. Obviously the show is written by adults, albeit very-connected-to-the-times millenials (God, that word is gross, isn't it?), but boiling down the Internet to memes, fails, and cat videos is, like, circa 2009 humor. But yes, great song and all that stuff!

      Delete
  3. Well I can't tell if they make something wrong but I certanly didn't find it worth it of an A+. I loved the balance between Richard and Nicole, both their stories complemented each other even if this ep was more Richard centered, and I agree the gags were fun but I think they are not the best the show can give us.

    As you mention Richard is a problematic character and his mindset it's kind of predictable but here he was at his best, the problem for me I guess was that his dumb decisions seemed too normal of him, there wasn't any epic moment, any surprise, my emotions weren't rushing for anything. The ending it's delightful but I wouldn't say I wouldn't see it comming so that's my take.

    ReplyDelete