Monday, May 13, 2019

The Amazing World of Gumball Review: The Wish

"I can't believe I've been guilt-tripped by a neck pillow. I mean, who am I? Mr... actually no, that's never happened to anyone before."

So... this was an interesting one, wasn't it? Usually, when an episode struggles, it's because it feels unrealized, but it's not that "The Wish" didn't put in the most sincere effort it could into everything it was trying to do. It's just that, well, having Principal Brown struggle to profess his love to a neck pillow is a step too far, and the episode feels all the more bizarre because of it in generally unproductive ways.

I mean, I'm always down for Gumball going balls-to-the-wall with the most insane idea it can think of; that's one of the show's greatest qualities, and it's helped create some of the greatest entries into the show's massive, diverse catalog of knock-out episodes. What "The Wish" does, though, is confound the logic that the show tries to use by churning out an adventure where every character just feels miles off from how they should be as some strange compromise for the narrative to work. And here's the thing: "The Wish" does sort of work in its own absurd way, but at what cost?

Well, at the cost of Gumball and Darwin legitimately believing that a gnome key chain transformed Miss Simian into a neck pillow. Throughout the past two seasons, we've seen plenty of instances of the series dumbing down Gumball and Darwin for the sake of making an idea work, and it's an annoyingly recurrent issue, but "The Wish" finds them at perhaps their most illogical yet, all while they deliver the same snarky wisecracking as one would hope. It's like a strange in-between of them at their best and them at their worst, but the fact that they're at the top of their game line-wise just makes their incompetency in evaluating the situation (Miss Simian left, leaving a neck pillow behind, which they quickly surmise is actually her) even more confusing.

Principal Brown, though, has always floated around in a strange mental place in the show, so his acceptance of Miss Simian being transformed into a neck pillow reads as yes, stupid, but at least in the deepest realms of his characterization. If anything, based on the first two minutes of "The Wish," I was praying that the episode would be a solo piece for him without the Watterson boys interfering as usual—they really are the weakest links in this foray—because he really carries the episode with his fragile inanity, whether in his extended struggles to deduce what object Miss Simian was apparently turned into or his extended struggles to say "I love you" to the the neck pillow. Basically, if there's one character who gets remotely close to making "The Wish" satisfying, it's Brown.

Once that weird concept of reality is established, though, "The Wish" is theoretically great, peppered with all of the sort of weird beats that the best Gumball episodes have. The sequence of Miss Simian trying to give a tear-jerking monologue on her way out of town, all while holding up a line of other similarly melodramatic basket cases, is a perfect little beat in the episode, for instance, even if she's given very little screentime to show her own narrative unfolding. Likewise, Gumball, Darwin, and Brown's journey to retrieve the neck pillow, culminating in a drag race with a psychologically-questionable greaser, was the perfect amount of absurdity to really drive the point home: "The Wish" is ridiculous, and it's going all out.

It's a shame, then, that "The Wish" is just too iffy in its own premise to allow itself to really come together. 

Notes and Quotes:
-"Oh man, online dating is so complicated. Women are so hard to read these days. Like, what does this mean? 'Your payment has been declined.'" "You do realize that's a pizza delivery app, right?"
-The idea of Gumball and Darwin yelling "Hey" to try to catch the truck driver's attention, only for him to respond with a happy, sociable "Hey!" was the sort of dumb joke that I will literally always get behind.
-"Heh, heh, I coulda kept the car, but there's nothing quite like a good neck pillow! Then again, I coulda sold the car to buy loads of neck pillows. I coulda bought thousands! Ah, my mother was right, I never think things through!"
-"Winner gets the girl!" "The girl is a cushion!" "I'll take what I can get!"
-If nothing else, I think we can all agree that the neck pillow was beautifully rendered, and I'd argue the best looking neck pillow in animation history.

FINAL GRADE: B-. While "The Wish" arguably has issues that cut far deeper than my grade would suggest, there's something about "The Wish" that I still kind of appreciate; in an alternate universe, and one where the rules of the show were tweaked a little more differently, this could be a truly great episode. As it stands, though, this episode took some strange risks that never pan out as they should, leaving the episode feeling like an ambitious misstep, but a weirdly respectable one.

For the last Gumball review of "The Future," CLICK HERE.

For updates every time I post a new review, follow me on Twitter @Matt_a_la_mode.

4 comments:

  1. We met before, it's me, Trupera from Discord lol.

    So you're saying the wish is OK,but would've been better if it was basically "The Return" but with Brown and Miss Simian? Anyway understandable review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know if I understand the comparison that you're making because I see both of those episodes as completely different. The issue with "The Wish" is that it just doesn't exist within a realm of enough believability for any of its ideas to really work.

      Delete
  2. I wasn't particularly enthralled by "The Wish." This latter portion of Season 6 has been a real hot streak with hit after hit, so this episode sticks out somewhat. Even something like "The Factory," which isn't a complete knock out of the park, doesn't fall completely flat like this one. Even this episode's funniest bits such as everyone buying a one-way ticket out of Elmore don't do too much for me in terms of comedic material, and I was not invested in the episode's attempt to become a poignant piece about Ms. Simian and Principal Brown's relationship.

    The final product's mediocrity aside, this episode is bit difficult to process in terms of its conception. On one hand, a lot of its ideas feel rooted in Season 1's sense of humor; one of the main plot points involves the Watterson brothers genuinely believing that a gnome trinket they found in the trash legitimately turned Ms. Simian into a neck pillow. Additionally, the main conflict is that Principal Brown doesn't know how to say "I Love You" and not something a little deeper that the later seasons would have gone to. At the same time, bizarre beats such as the bit with the desperate and pathetic greaser or the indulgence in cynicism with all the people wanting to leave Elmore are stuff that one would only find in the later seasons. It essentially feels like a Season 1 premise that was yanked into this season, and the end result is something that doesn't really work.

    I suppose you're a bit more appreciative of this episode than I am. You've definitely got me to see the ambition in this one. However, given that it never really paid off and that it is not that great a premise to begin with, it makes me wonder how this episode came to fruition. Given that the number of episodes left is especially tight now that the show is coming to a close, I'm curious as to what the staff saw in this.

    Great post!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see an argument being made for this episode feeling like something Season 1 would come up with, but even in how weirdly out-of-place it is, it feels to me like someone's dream episode that they wanted to get made before the series ends, like a sort of bizarre, nonsensical passion project. Like, I don't think "The Wish" is a particularly good episode, and it's hard to really argue for it, but it pulls out all the stops without ever feeling like it's trying to prove something to you or win you over, which is a problem I've seen in some of the more tepid episodes over the past season. I don't know if that firm conviction makes "The Wish" better or worse, but I just love the idea that this is the hill someone died on.

      With that being said, I admire the episode far more on a conceptual level than as an episode meant to serve Principal Brown and Miss Simian's relationship. I don't really think the neck pillow thing was the right means of trying to elevate their storyline, though again, points for trying; something just doesn't exactly ring true to me about Brown being unable to profess his love to Simian given how melodramatically their relationship tends to be demonstrated. I never really touched on that in the review because it's clear that the episode isn't trying to grant them the sort of closure that characters like Hot Dog Guy or Alan have gotten over the past season, though that doesn't make it less relevant, I suppose, though their relationship was always something of a throwaway joke in the first place.

      Delete